Virginia Federal Fraud Lawyer
Accusations of dishonest or fraudulent dealings can be frightening, as well as frustrating. If you are facing federal fraud charges, act now to find a Virginia federal fraud lawyer who can be your advocate and defend you against criminal charges.
An experienced federal attorney in Virginia will be able to explain all necessary information for someone facing charges of fraud and who is unsure how to begin building their defense.
Federal Fraud Charges
Fraud is loosely defined as an attempt to deceive someone for one’s personal benefit. Typically, in criminal fraud cases, a person is accused of using deception for financial gain. This may occur through outright fabrication of facts or through misrepresentation or concealment of material facts.
Basic federal fraud statutes include mail and wire fraud. These statutes prohibit the following:
- Falsifying, concealing, or covering up a material fact by means of “any scheme or artifice to defraud” by US public or private mail
- Devising or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses by means of wire, radio, or television communication. Mail and wire fraud are both punishable by up to 20 years of imprisonment
Other federal fraud charges include:
- Health care fraud
- Government programs fraud
- Bankruptcy fraud
- Mortgage fraud
- Tax fraud
- Securities fraud
If someone is investigated or indicted for fraud, their Virginia federal fraud attorney can help explain the specific charge or charges they face, clarify any possible consequences, and create a defense strategy aimed at protecting them.
How an Attorney Can Help
When you are accused of a crime, it can feel as if all hope is lost. The truth is that you have a number of important rights as a defendant, and finding someone to make sure those rights are protected can give you peace of mind. Working with a fraud attorney can help you make wise decisions about your case. Finding a fraud lawyer might also help you bring your case to the best possible resolution.
There are several different types of fraud, and each fraud case is unique. Your Virginia fraud attorney can tailor a defense to the specific details of your case. Common fraud defense strategies include:
- Suppression of improperly obtained evidence
- Working toward a dismissal of unwarranted charges
- Challenging evidence of intent to defraud
- Negotiating a plea for reduced charges and mitigating sentencing
- Keeping you apprised of the status of your case
- Aggressively pursuing an acquittal at trial
- Protecting your rights as a defendant in a federal criminal case
No one can guarantee results. However, Virginia federal fraud attorneys understand what it takes to successfully litigate in federal court. Virginia attorneys have the investigative resources and decades of legal experience required to defend clients facing serious fraud accusations. When you need a fraud defense lawyer, you need an attorney who is committed to your success and always has your best interests at heart. Contact a Virginia federal fraud lawyer who is equipped and ready to fight for you as soon as possible.